Good food vs Bad foodadmin
Society often defines food as ‘good’ and ‘bad’ foods. For instance we might say “cake is bad,
and kale is good”. I am here to tell you that there is no such thing as ‘good’ and ‘bad’ food.
No specific type of food or meal should be defined as good, bad, right or wrong. Studies
have shown that this type of black and white thinking has led people to fail at sticking to a
healthy diet long term. 1
This is why it is important to build on your relationship with food rather than focusing on
‘rigid diet thinking’ which sets you up to fail.
These are a few tips you can follow to avoid thinking in this manner.2
• Give yourself permission to eat what you want, when you want and keep ‘portion
control’ in mind.
• Follow your physical hunger and fullness cues, instead of relying on emotional cues
to guide eating.
• Try to consume food from the five main food groups namely fruits, vegetables,
grains, meats and dairy.
• Avoid using food as a source of comfort during stressful times and focus on resolving
the matter using other ways.
• Do not obsess over a certain type of food. Eat it, enjoy it and move on.
You should never have to feel guilty about eating certain food. Food is just food and it is
meant to be enjoyed and used to fuel your body with sufficient nutrients to support your
health. Just remember that food should bring you happiness and good health, not anxiety